Monday, September 26, 2011

Some of my favorite photos

This was taken when my Zakary, my nephew, was about three years old.  He was learning to ride the tricycle at the same time my father was learning to ride the unicycle.  I like this photo because they have a look of determination and it reminds me that it's important to continue challenging ourselves by learning new things throughout our lives.

This is my family celebrating Never's birthday.   Never was our second dog and we all liked her quite a lot.  I was home from university for the weekend and my older sister had driven up from Boston where she was working at the time. My family did  silly things like this sometimes and I think that's why I think it's always important to include play time  in our lives. .  

This was taken in 2004, after the first big snowstorm of our first winter together in New Hampshire.  We got about 60cm of snow in less than two days.  My wife was excited because it was still quite a new experience.  We made a snowman that was taller than either of us. After 5 years of snowstorms, my wife didn't enjoy them as much, but we'll always have fond memories of our first snowstorm.

This photo was taken last summer on a lovely August day.  First, my wife and I went out to Vietnamese restaurant and ate some tasty soup.  We then had some excellent Patbingsu (a shaved ice and red bean dessert).  We then walked all the way home (about 3km) on the lovely coastal walkways of Igidae.  It wasn't an amazing, exotic day of foreign travel, but when I think about what is a 'good day', I think about this day. 

When I was 20 years old, I took a semester off from university and decided to drive cross-country.  I didn't know where I'd wind up or what I would do when I got there.  It wound up being a wonderful adventure and real learning experience. I feel very fortunate that my parents supported me in my adventure.  My mother made the 'Somewhere or Bust' sign for me. 

Working as a butcher's assistant (summer of '88).
The first step toward becoming a vegetarian. 

With my nephew, Zakary, when he was a few days old.
He'd crush me now :)




1 comment:

  1. What happened? You used to be handsome when you were young?

    ReplyDelete